Here’s Everything You Need to Know
Click to Expand Policies + Guidelines
Lessons are customized to the needs of each student and include instruction in the following areas:
- Developing a Supple, Flexible Tone as a Solid Foundation of Playing
- Polished, Even Technique, Memorization of Scales and Patterns
- Clean, Resonant Articulation, Including Double and Triple Tonguing
- Developing a Sophisticated Sense of Musicality, Phrasing, Interpretation, and Vibrato
- Improving Rhythm and an Understanding of Basic Music Theory
- Ensemble Skills Including Deeper Awareness, Listening, Intonation, Blending, Leading and Following
- Breathing, Balance, and Postural Ease in Sitting and Standing
- Awareness Techniques and Mental Preparation to manage performance anxiety, reduce discomfort, and unlock free, expressive playing
- Etudes, Solo Repertoire, Orchestral Excerpts, Ensemble Music
- Audition/Competition Preparation, Stage Presence
- Extended Techniques for Tone Development and Applications in Repertoire, Beat-boxing
- Piccolo Instruction: Flexibility of Sound and Dynamics, Intonation, Ensemble Awareness, and Audition Repertoire
+ Studio Guidelines
- In-person lessons are held at my home studio in Cedar Park.
- Students must be at least 12 years old to sign up with some experience in reading music preferred.
- Recurring weekly lessons are recommended to all students.
- Prospective students will be scheduled for one individual lesson to meet before registering for a full month of lessons. (Normal lesson rates apply to initial in-person lessons.)
- Students are expected to come prepared to lessons with their instrument in good working order, any relevant music/handouts, music stand, pencil, and a notebook.
- A metronome, tuner, recording device, and staff paper are also recommended materials.
+ Practice Expectations
- Lessons are an exchange of ideas and information, and lessons are the most productive when the student arrives to their lesson prepared to both give and receive new information. It is my responsibility to teach students how to practice efficiently, and it is the student's responsibility to practice outside of their lesson time.
- How much do I need to practice? Students are expected to practice daily. Appropriate practice plans will be discussed and are tailored to the student's musical goals, personal goals, and outside commitments.
+ Payment Schedule
- Monthly invoices will be provided via email at the beginning of each new month.
- Invoices contain a direct link to easily pay online via PayPal. Venmo is also accepted, and cash or check may be provided in-person, as well.
+ Cancellation Policy
- Unused may roll over as a credit towards next month’s invoice as long as cancellation is provided by e-mail, text or call no less than 24 hours in advance.
- If enough notice is provided, we may attempt to reschedule within the same week pending availability.
- No refunds or credits may be given for no-show lessons or cancellations made with less than 24 hours notice.
- No refunds are given for unused lessons should the student choose to terminate lessons before completing their monthly term.
+ Austin Studio Lesson Rates
- 30-Minutes: $39
- 45-Minutes: $49
- 60-Minutes: $59